CDC adds six new symptoms to its official list of COVID-19 symptoms

CDC, one of the significant functionaries of the US Health Department that aims to protect Americans from all the health issues, is keeping track of the updates of COVID-19. It has approached various sub-committees to tackle the virus and has added six new symptoms of COVID-19 to its official list.

COVID-19, a disease caused by Novel coronavirus. Coronaviruses are notorious for causing respiratory diseases. The virus enters the human body from the buccal cavity, goes to the respiratory tract, and starts multiplying in the lungs rapidly. The virus blocks the tiny air sacs known as alveoli, present at the end tips of bronchi. So, the oxygen supply gets retarded to the other body parts and, proper functioning of the body is inhibited. The virus spread through either direct contact with the affected person or contact with the droplets generated by him. The virus can remain active on surfaces for more than 72 hours. Therefore, unnecessary touching of surfaces is discouraged. A simple household disinfectant can decontaminate the surface. RNA testing of respiratory secretions is done to test the virus.

CDC, several health centers and even Commercial organizations are conducting tests for diagnosis of the COVID-19. To limit the crowd in health-centers, FDA has approved testing at home, wherein the suspect patient will send a nasal sample to the nearest laboratory and remain isolated until the results are out. The US government has as allowed a gathering of only ten people. Germany does not allow a gathering of even two persons.

The earlier symptoms of COVID-19 included fever, dry cough, shortness of breath. The newly added symptoms are chills, shaking due to chills, sore throat, loss of sense of taste or smell, headaches, muscle pain. These coronavirus symptoms appear within a range of 2-14 days. The symptoms appear gradually, and not all signs are visible in a single person. CDC said that the virus does not get transmitted from a pregnant female to the unborn child. However, there are high chances of the newborn baby to catch the virus.

CDC adds six new symptoms to its official list of COVID-19 symptoms
CDC adds six new symptoms to its official list of COVID-19 symptoms

The total number of deaths worldwide due to Coronavirus has crossed 300,000, with 1.63 million cases of recovery. The easy spread of the virus without the availability of an effective drug against the virus has increased its risk factor. Healthcare workers are at the maximum risk of the virus. The grammar of Coronavirus is revising itself daily. Yet, no animal has been attributed as the sure source of the Coronavirus.

In earlier cases, the symptoms were similar to the symptoms of cold and flu. The severe symptoms like shortness of breath appeared among a few only. Self-monitoring of the symptoms is the most important tool since the identification of these new symptoms will stop potential carriers from transmitting the virus. Among a few patient's diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting is also observed. But these have not been added as potential symptoms yet. 30% of patients suffer from a loss of sense of smell. The most common symptom is fever, which was visible in 88% of COVID-19 patients. 68% of coronavirus patients suffer from dry cough. Kidney failure is also observed as a severe symptom among few patients. 44% of coronavirus patients in China had no symptoms.

Earlier all COVID-19 positive patients were admitted to hospitals. But now those having adequate facilities may quarantine themselves at home. Proper communication flow is maintained between those who are quarantined at home and medical experts. Home Isolation protects the patient from stress, depression, and panic. Hydroxychloroquine prophylaxis is prescribed for the caregivers of the home quarantined.

CDC maintained that the most severe cases of Coronavirus occur among 65+, due to their weak immunity. People with serious chronic ailments also tend to suffer more from the pandemic. All 50 states of the USA have reported positive cases of COVID-19. The pandemic has caused the steepest economic depression of the century.

Already, Community spread (Stage 3) has begun in America, with common symptoms of COVID-19 like cough, fever, and tiredness. 80% of the infected patients have recovered globally without any medical aid. The rest 20% face severe symptoms, including shortness of breath. CDC has recommended several precautionary measures to contain the virus. These include frequent and proper handwashing for at least 20 seconds, hand hygiene, using facemasks while outside, disinfecting public areas, and maintaining social distance. The symptoms are becoming uncertain day-to-day; only the public's intelligent sanitation practices can contain the virus.


Image Credits: Getty Images

40 views0 comments